Year 11 calendar
September – October
- You may meet your careers adviser in a lesson at school.
- Use your careers resources in school to find out about jobs and options after Year 11.
- Talk to your family, careers adviser and teachers about your ideas for the future.
- Contact schools, colleges, apprenticeship and Foundation Learning providers for information.
November - February
- Look out for details of careers events.
- Visit colleges, schools or training providers – most have open days or evenings.
- Start applying for popular jobs and apprenticeships. Look out in the Leicester Mercury or other local papers. Contact companies to ask about vacancies.
- Look at job and apprenticeship vacancies on this site.
- Apply for courses and apprenticeships on LeCAP. Fill in the online application form before 31st January.
- Talk to your careers adviser or tutor if you might want to do a Foundation Learning programme.
March – April
- If you have applied earlier for a course or apprenticeship, you will probably find out the result.
- Carry on with applications and interviews.
- Talk to your school careers teacher or careers adviser if you are not sure about your plans.
- If you want to accept a place on a course, but you think you may need financial help, speak to the school or college. They have funds to help those students who would not otherwise be able to stay on in education.
May – July
- Year 11 students are allowed to start full-time work or training after the last Friday in June.
- Ring colleges, schools and apprenticeship providers direct to see if any places are left.
August – September
- GCSE results are sent to your school or home.
- Don’t panic! It's not too late to change your plans. Visit your school for help.
- Try and make the most of your summer. Why not do volunteering, join a youth activity project or take a temporary job?
- Start work, training or your new course – good luck!